Four-time Major winner and Presidents Cup International team captain Ernie Els takes a swing at the Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course on July 30, 2018. Els holds his first press conference at 12.30pm today. Photo: Fiji International
Top golfers start to arrive for the $1.93m Fiji International presented by Fiji Airways, which starts on Thursday
Four-time Major winner and Presidents Cup International team captain Ernie Els arrived into the country yesterday.
Els is here to play in the Fiji International presented by Fiji Airways.
The former World No.1 known as ‘The Big Easy’ wasted no time as he took to the Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course to test it out.
In Fiji for the first time Els is going to hold his press conference at 12.30pm today at the Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course’s media centre.
The Fiji International presented by Fiji Airways will be from August 2-5.
Also expected to join Els is national hero and three-time Major winner Vijay Singh.
They will be joined by Scott Hend, Andrew Dodt and Lucas Herbert who will all fly in from the European Tour’s Porsche European Open.
Prize money: AU$1.25million (FJ$1.93m)
Course Record: 8-under 64 set in round 4 of 2017’s tournament by Jazz Janewattananond
2017 Champion: Jason Norris
Marquee players in the field:
- Vijay Singh- Three-time Major winner
- Scott Hend- Nine-time Asian Tour winner and two time European Tour winner
- Gavin Green – 2017 Asian Tour Order of Merit Champion
- Gaganjeet Bhullar – Eight-time Asian Tour winner
- Wu Ashun – Two-time Japan Tour winner and two-time European Tour winner, second highest ranked Chinese golfer
- Full field is available at pga.org.au
WHAT’S ON TODAY
9am: Practice Day- gates open
12pm: Defending champion Jason Norris media conference
12:30pm: Ernie Els media conference
6pm: Official Fiji International presented by Fiji Airways tournament welcome at the InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort and Spa
– Edited by Leone Cabenatabua