Tiger Woods will tee it up in the Valspar Championship for the first time Thursday at Innisbrook Resort’s Copperhead Course.
We’ll track Woods’ first round, played alongside Jordan Spieth and Henrik Stenson, shot by shot for all 18 holes Thursday in Palm Harbor, Fla.
Hole No. 10: Par 4, 445 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger goes with 3-wood and hits a nice, powerful draw into the center of the fairway.
- APPROACH SHOT: Just 130 yards in and Tiger takes dead aim. Beauty.
- ON THE GREEN: 12 feet left for Tiger and he drains it. Tweet, tweet.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 10
Hole No. 9: Par 4, 430 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger is T-10 as he steps on the tee. He hits iron to the right side of the fairway. Good angle into the green now.
- APPROACH SHOT: Tiger doesn’t like this one. Immediately puts his head down and swings his club back through the air. The ball ends up short, right and in the greenside bunker.
- AROUND THE GREEN: A fan yells in Tiger’s backswing and he’s somehow able to stop his swing in the sand. He regroups and blasts to about 7 feet.
- ON THE GREEN: Missed the par save and bogeys. Back to even.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even par thru 9
Hole No. 8: Par 3, 235 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger hits 6-iron into the heart of the green, just a tad left of the pin and about 13 feet away.
- ON THE GREEN: Center. Of. The. Hole. Birdie.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 8
Hole No. 7: Par 4, 420 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger finds the left side of the fairway with iron. Has missed just one fairway so far.
- APPROACH SHOT: Boom! Tiger hits the stick from 147 yards and will have a short birdie left.
- ON THE GREEN: From 6 feet, Tiger missed his birdie putt just left. Par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even par thru 7
Hole No. 6: Par 4, 465 yards
- OFF THE TEE: For the first time today, Tiger hits 3-wood and finds the short stuff.
- APPROACH SHOT: Best approach of the day so far for Woods. He’ll have 23 feet left for his birdie.
- ON THE GREEN: Tiger struggling with his speed on the greens this morning. Leaves this birdie putt about 3 feet short. Rolls in par, though.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even par thru 6
Hole No. 5: Par 5, 605 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger misses the fairway right and the ball ends up in the rough, behind a tree and on a bunker lip.
- SECOND SHOT: Tiger can only punch out into the fairway and will have 244 yards left.
- THIRD SHOT: It’s a 4-iron for Tiger and he hits the green before the ball runs just into the rough, about 45 feet from the hole.
- AROUND THE GREEN: Bump and run for Tiger and he’ll have 3 feet coming back for par.
- ON THE GREEN: Never a doubt. Tiger reaching down to pick ball out of the hole before it drops. Par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even par thru 5
Hole No. 4: Par 3, 195 yards
- OFF THE TEE: What a start by Tiger, who has yet to miss a fairway and has missed just one green (and barely). Tiger doesn’t look comfortable here, though. He backs off, and then hits his tee ball long – WAY long. The wind affected him here and Tiger is in the pine straw some 25 yards from the hole.
- AROUND THE GREEN: No green to work with here, a tree in the way of his stance and follow-through, and a tunnel of fans to hit through. Tiger doesn’t get his chip all the way to green. His second has some height and ends up about 5 feet past. Not bad.
- ON THE GREEN: Bogey, but that isn’t terrible on this tough hole.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: Even par thru 4
Hole No. 3: Par 4, 455 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Iron off the tee again and Tiger will have just inside of 200 yards left.
- APPROACH SHOT: Nice smooth swing here and Tiger finds the front fairway cut about 35 feet from the hole.
- AROUND THE GREEN: Tiger gives this left-to-right breaker a premature club raise. But the birdie roll just missed left.
- ON THE GREEN: Par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 3
Hole No. 2: Par 4, 435 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger hits a stinger with iron and finds another fairway.
- APPROACH SHOT: Tiger has 156 yards left into the green and hits the green, but will have 50 feet left for his birdie.
- ON THE GREEN: Tiger leaves his birdie roll about 8 feet short. But he drains the par.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 2
Hole No. 1: Par 5, 560 yards
- OFF THE TEE: Tiger in a sweater early and goes with driver to start. Big lash here, he carries the bunker and finds the fairway. That one went 320 yards.
- SECOND SHOT: From 225 yards out, Tiger goes long-iron and misses the green just left.
- THIRD SHOT: Tiger flops to inches – nearly an eagle!
- ON THE GREEN: Tap-in pars to start are always good.
- TIGER ON THE DAY: 1 under thru 1
Tiger Woods is set to begin his first round at 12:46 p.m. Eastern. After some work on the range, he headed to the short-game area about 15 minutes before his tee time. He holed his final chip, and then nearly holed a bunker shot. After some putts, he’s ready to get this tournament started.
• • •